Last Updated on Monday, 06 September 2010 20:37 Written by Administrator Sunday, 05 September 2010 14:41
This unit has a cow shed capable of housing three milk cows and a calf with a milking area.
The local community keep local cows which are in most cases unproductive, environmentally disastrous and of low value. This project aims at teaching and providing the community with grade cattle and also cross breeding the local cows with a grade bull in order to produce cows with greater milk yields and better meat value
This project therefore aims:
1. To increase milk production through keeping of grade cattle
2. To crossbreed the local cows with the grade bull
3. Produce enough milk both for sale and support to orphan children and women
4. Train the community on good livestock husbandry
5. To promote use of manure for Agriculture and Biogas production
6. To introduce the community to Organic farming.
The output of the project which is already being seen and practiced include:
1. Growing Napier grass and other fodder trees for feeding the Cows
2. Crossbreeding selected local cows
3. Selling of Milk
4. Feeding and health management training and practices
5. Train the community on good animal husbandry methods
6. Supporting the community to start their own Dairy livestock production.
7. Initiating a biogas project at the center and in selected homes
8. Starting an Organic farm